From: http://arttattler.com/archiverussiancourtprotocol.html

Thursday, January 26, 2012

Several Thousand Words

It has been said, of course, millions of times over, that a picture is worth a thousand words.  While I just so happen to think that it's ever so much more fun to write the thousand words, I keep hearing a clamouring for pictures.  And so, I acquiesce, seeing as I am not the world's worst photographer.  (I think that particular honor belonged to a relation of mine, who was famous for taking pictures of people at just such an angle as to cut off the head, every time.)

(Needless to say, I reserve the copyright to all photos. Please never reuse them without my express permission and appropriate citation).

Let us begin with what I am calling the fairylights shot, of Grand Place:
Next, I shall favor you with a second Grand Place Shot, because there's a horse in it; followed by Jardin Botanique, where you can see a typical Brussels melange - the old garden, the pavilion which  is now generally used as a concert hall, and some of what I believe are the EU buildings in the background:

I've no idea what the following is - it may be one of the Royal Palaces - in any case, it's near the Atomium - but I think it's the most beautiful picture I've taken here so far:
A quick welcome to Europe, as state:
Looks a little 50's-futuristic, yes?
Now, in the category, "and you wonder why I chose Belgium:"
(That's frozen mousse. Note also the waffle.)
By day, it's a museum, by night it's a bar, in 1881, it was a train station:
Belgium is big on comic books...
Reeeeeally big.  That'd be a real tree at the bottom, of a real building.
And these are just pretty:
Flanders lace...in Flanders.

In other news, when I got on the tram on the way home today, there was a street performer playing the accordion.  I took a video to capture the sound, but unfortunately the screen is mostly a close-up of my umbrella, and I kept sticking my fingers over the camera's microphone by accident, so it's really a very bad video.  But imagine all of this accompanied by Francophone cafe music, and being seen by a girl who is almost accustomed to the idea of staying in this place for a while.

Post Scriptum: Pictures of the bear with the copper pot are coming.  My mother suggests it is a honey pot, making him the Belgian relation of Winnie the Pooh.  I've named him Herge.

PPS: Uploading pictures takes far too long.  Enjoy them, because next post, it's back to writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome, friends! Anyone may gladly comment, but do be forewarned that I will moderate all comments before posting them. Also, all personal inquiries as to specifics not given on this blog, my health and happiness, etc, should be directed to my personal email or Facebook account, as they will not be answered publicly here.